Staring into Sun | Coder Radio 30229 March 2018
Sun Microsystems was fertile ground for what might be the largest developer upset in ten years. Support Coder Radio
- Airmail — Designed for the latest generation iOS, it supports 3D Touch, fast document previewing, high quality PDF creation, and native integration with other apps and services for a frictionless workflow.…
- Richard requests insights
- Google Could Owe Oracle $8.8 Billion in Android Fight - Bloomberg — Google’s use of Java wasn’t ‘fair use,’ appeals court rules
- One Email Could Cost Google Billions in Its Fight With Oracle — “Wish them luck,” Rubin wrote. “Java.lang.apis are copyrighted. and sun [sic] gets to say who they license the tck to,” Rubin wrote.
- Google emails cast shadow over its defense against Oracle — In the 2010 email, Google software engineer Tim Lindholm tells Rubin that Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin had requested “technical alternatives to Java.” “We’ve been over a bunch of these, and we think they all suck,” Lindholm wrote, according to Ars Technica. “We conclude that we need to negotiate a license for java under the terms we need.” Rubin acknowledged he’d seen the message, the site reported.
- Backlash against tech companies is a wake-up call (opinion) - CNN
- Snapchat is building the same kind of data-sharing API that just got Facebook into trouble - Recode — Snapchat is building a way for people to use their Snapchat account to connect with third-party apps. The idea, in theory, would let Snapchat users grant outside companies access to their Snapchat data to help personalize other services.
- Windows chief Myerson out in Microsoft reorganization | ZDNet — Microsoft’s latest company reorg includes some major changes to its Windows and Devices organization, including the departure of its current leader, Terry Myerson.
- Thank you for 21 years, and onto the next chapter… | Terry Myerson | Pulse | LinkedIn