The Trouble with Tablets | Coder Radio 4512 February 2022
Microsoft's cold war with Apple is revealed in court filings this week, and Google thinks they've got the next hit on their hands, which sounds a lot like the old hit. Support Coder Radio
- FOSS Patents: 35 U.S. states and Microsoft support Epic Games against Apple in Ninth Circuit — 35 U.S. states led by Utah and Microsoft have officially thrown their weight behind Epic’s appeal through amicus curiae briefs filed with the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- FOSS Patents: Biden Administration backs Epic Games against Apple in Ninth Circuit #FreeFortnite antitrust appeal — The Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice, speaking on behalf of the United States of America, has filed the following brief, formally in support of neither party but practically supporting some of the most important elements of Epic’s appea
- Samsung Led Smartphone Shipments For 2021, Beating Out Apple — Samsung retook the top spot for smartphone shipments in 2021, holding 20% market share globally after shipping 272 million phones during the year.
- Apple Reports Record 1Q 2022 Results — For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $123.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $34.6 billion, or $2.10 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $111.4 billion and net quarterly profit of $28.8 billion, or $1.68 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.
- Supply chain issues killed iPad sales in the first quarter of 2021 — iPad generated 7.2 billion in revenue, down 14% year over year due to very significant supply constraints, but customer demand was very strong across all models.
- Google says Android tablets are the future, starts staffing up new division — Google is building Android 12L, a mid-cycle update of Android dedicated to tablet and foldable functionality.